Tuesday 26 December 2017

Follow that Lone Star

After many years of single-handedly trying to Make Christmas British Again, I was very pleased to find crackers stocked in multiple shops this Yuletide.  My letter writing campaign to get the Queen's Speech shown on Fox News is yet to pay dividends but it's still early days.

Luckily Meg and Ellen were here to keep things traditional.  Lots of cooking took place, including the croque-en-bouche showstopper - this was no small feat, Ellen coming out with words I didn't know she knew (hot caramel can be quite painful, apparently).  Despite my best effort much Texasness crept into the menu, with fish tacos substituting for turkey and trimmings.  But after the fabulous excesses of Thanksgiving I'm certainly not complaining about that.

It took us until late into the afternoon before we'd managed to open all the presents.  While I suggested we entertain ourselves with a selection of parlour games - Blind Man's Bluff, or maybe Pass The Slipper - Meg and Pete seemed more than content to take selfies on Meg's new phone.  Kid's these days, I thought to myself as I slipped into the ultra-traditional carbo/alcohol doze.


Preparation.  Stop wasting time looking at the camera and get back to cooking!



A Christmas Eve trip to NASA.


Ready for launch in the shuttle bay.


Up and away!


Christmas morning.  Not too bright and early, thankfully.


Baked Camembert for a starter.  Yes.


Tuck in!


Croque-en-bouche!  It did not last long.



A post-Christmas jaunt to the Museum of Natural Science.  Why do you want the kids to come here, Hannah?


Awe and wonder.


Texas wild!


Ah yes, what the Christmases of my youth looked like back in Britain.