Sunday 8 April 2018

Meanwhile, in Texas...

I handed off tourist guide duties to Hannah and Pete, hoping my long-time training of them would pay off.  And, of course, my fears of bad reviews were completely unjustified; as I jetted off to the cold and snowy north east, they traveled west with Miles and Reuben to hang out on a horse ranch.

There are a few of these places in hill country around San Antonio, and they chose the Silver Spur, a ranch that offers three square meals and two horse rides a day, as well as roping, gun slinging, and s'mores around the campfire in the evening.

They might have had the best time ever.  I came back to stories of feeding longhorns from the back of a hay cart, and watching Pistol Packing Paula's nightly show, as well as trekking on horses with names like Tank and Mo, and encounters with scorpions and fire ants.

Having just spent time in DC, I was certainly the least Texan in the house all of a sudden.  I've booked my own ranch experience when Goddaughter Charity arrives in July, but rural Herefordshire isn't going to know what's hit it when Maverick Miles and Roughneck Reuben ride back into town next week.


The best in Texas, I'm told.


Out in the badlands.


On the hayride.


 Pistol Packing Paula certainly does.


Campfire (don't let this fool you - they stayed in luxury cabins).


 Off to rob a train.


Off to rope and brand 'em.


Hannah on Paco.


What were you teaching my son while I was away?!


He's obviously happy about it.


Reuben lifted up a rock, and found...


Story of my life.


UK immigration isn't going to believe he's British when he gets back.


It's easier wrangling steers than this one.


Even cowboys need a break.