Sunday 8 April 2018

Meanwhile, in Virginia...

The onset of age brings with it wisdom, perspicacity, and an increased sense of responsibility for your place in the world.  Unless you're Vince.  But even he cannot physically escape the passing of the years, which is why I made a quick trip to DC to wish him a happy birthday, leaving Hannah, Miles, et al to the wilds of Texas (more on that later).

I flew there on Spirit, an airline so cheap that I had to fill my pockets with underwear and toiletries as they don't allow carry-on bags.  I mean, you can pay to take a carry-on, but why would I waste a few dollars on better personal hygiene and a change of clothes?  Maybe it's not the airline I should be describing as cheap.

Sadly I wasn't even the main event at this birthday gathering; Zaira had come over from Georgia, and Silvi and Ignacio flew up from Chile.  They arrived before me, and came up with the hilarious plan to lock me in the trunk of their car then send Vince out to "carry in the bags", at which point I would jump out and surprise him.  And it was hilarious...to everyone except Vince.  You have not seen terror on a man's face until you've jumped out of a car boot yelling "SURPRISE!" at him.  We won't be repeating this gag when he's 50, for fear it may make that birthday his last.

After that fantastic introduction, the weekend was spent drinking, chatting, and dancing at Nick's Country Bar.  You travel all the way from Texas and wind up in a Texan-themed bar in Virginia.  But I can't complain, having had the best time catching up with old friends (who get older every year).  Happy 40th Vince!


Imparting some of the wisdom that my advanced years have gifted me.  "Always check the trunk of the car," being the first.


Claire, trying to get Ignacio to play "Shake It Off".  Kids these days...


Silvi, beautiful as ever.


A modern American-English-Chilean family.


Mimosa's for breakfast, naturally.
 

Out at the club.  They did ask me for ID to get in, but I think that was only a formality.


 The Chilean's jumped straight into the line dancing.


 And that, Silvi, is why everyone in the world acknowledges that the British are the best dancers.


Ignacio and me enjoying the karaoke room at the back, where they have both types of music: country and western.  I believe we're dueting to "Islands In The Stream" here.


Teaching Vince a little Texan dance we call the Two Step.


Vince standing up to announce his political candidacy.  Or maybe sing John Denver.


Finest friends.


Let's Keep America Great (Again).


 It's a metaphor.