Saturday 3 July 2010

Tinkle on the ivories

I come from a very musical family. Even our sewing machine was a Singer! Unfortunately my musical education lapsed somewhere around my 11th birthday, and while I've been happy to pluck away on the bass guitar in Elad's band it's not so much making music as standing around on stage looking cool. I like to think.

So I got very interested when a grand piano shop in Walnut Creek (we have two grand piano shops!) had a sign advertising free adult piano lessons. The word "free" caught my attention most. I popped in and chatted to Jerome, possibly the owner, who said the group classes would be too easy for me (ha!) but that he'd give me a complimentary lesson and, if I liked it, I could pay for more. A perk, he told me, was that I got to play on a $60k Steinway.

I duly turned up on Saturday morning and got a free two hours of chat, theory, and practice. At one point I was left in charge of the shop while he popped out for a coffee (no pianos were shoplifted on my watch). It was great fun! My aim is, apparently, to be able to play all my scales and chords while reading a novel. Once I can do that, I might get taught how to play something. After that? Carnegie Hall.


On stage!


I believe this is a D minor dim7. Possibly with a few other notes thrown in.