Monday 19 July 2010

Trouble at Creek

Walnut Creek isn't Berkeley! But today this unlikely centre for political unrest became just that when a large demonstration was held both for and against Johannes Mehserle, a BART police officer recently charged with the manslaughter of Oscar Grant. Walnut Creek's courthouse had been chosen because, apparently, it's conveniently located.

I missed the demonstration, mainly because I was sat inside enjoying a nice cup of tea. A helicopter had been buzzing around for a while, and we'd heard sirens, so Hannah decided to find out what was going on. On the Internet, of course. We weren't actually going to leave our apartment complex.

As soon as it became clear that something was going on I grabbed my camera and, with no regard for my own safety, dashed out to keep you informed (and see if I could loot any high-value electronic items). Unfortunately all the action was over. A few stragglers urged me to fight the power, and the remaining riot-geared police officers could not be persuaded to beat me up no matter how much I taunted them. I came home empty handed.

The online media makes it sound a little more exciting (online accounts distorting the truth? I frown upon that!) One dry cleaning business boarded up its windows. "If you're from San Francisco this is a letdown," commented a resident who was watching events from a deck chair. In the end the SF Chronicle had to conclude that there was a bit of shouting and not much else. Like I said, this isn't Berkeley...