Wednesday 12 October 2011

Humming

Along with the SF air show, we've been enjoying a more organic flight display this summer with our hummingbirds!  Apparently they'll be migrating soon, down to Mexico and Panama (nice!), so I thought I would put up some of my pictures of more frequent visitors.  Mum bought us a feeder when she was out here, but actually catching them using it is a challenge as the little critters are fast.

They also happen to be extremely aggressive.  After several weeks of generally chasing each other around our little plastic flowers, one of them took up residence the line that holds up our sun blinds.  Whenever any of his colleagues came close he would shout at them (they're loud too) and, if that didn't work, take a flying lunge, sharp beak ready to fence away intruders.  Lacking a telly, watching this is my greatest daily entertainment.

They've been thin in number recently, but will apparently be back in February.  They've been known to stop on oil rigs on their way over the Gulf of Mexico, again showing what an important environmental service Chevron offers to all species on this planet.  I'll miss them, but things will certainly be less noisy and angry around here for a few months.

And here is my project for next year.


This guy always sits on the same branch on a tree out the front, our guard-bird.  They're very territorial too.  So much aggression in such a small package!  Reminds me of my sister.


Sticking his tongue out.


Gorging on my home-made sugarwater.


Two at once!  This didn't last long.


This is our pet out the back, on his favourite perch.  He even attempted to attack Alana's flower print trousers when she was staying.  That beak could do some damage.