Sunday 1 April 2012

Mortal combat

I had the distinct honour of watching my Goddaughter fight a duel today.  I'd always known how dangerous Charity was, but she confirmed it spectacularly in a national fencing competition in Durham.  Harry got in on the act too, parrying-and-riposting his way to the quarter finals.

In between watching this tournament I enjoyed fish and chips for lunch, a visit to Rachel, Chris and their gorgeous daughter Erin, then a proper curry with Mat and Alana.  I'm driving away from the North East tomorrow, but it remains the beautiful, if slightly chilly, paradise where Hannah and I met all those years ago.  And the region that will be hardest hit by VAT on pasties.


A hit!  A very palpable hit!  (From Harry, on the left).


Charity, small and deadly.


David, Harry and Charity with mum Frances.


Go Charity, go!  Kill!


Some cups she's won (maybe).


Traditional lunch.
  

Erin and a bouncy cow.


And with a goat that sings songs from The Sound of Music.  No joke!


Chicken dansak, onion bhaji, saag aloo...no one does Indian like the British.