Sunday 22 April 2012

Sandy

As previously noted, jumping on another plane six hours after arriving from London and flying south to spend a jet-lagged weekend sharing a room with my wife and sister-in-law was exactly what I wanted to do after three weeks in England.  So lucky for me that our destination was San Diego, another city by the bay but one with a little more warmth than beloved SF.

We've spent the last few days walking our socks off; around the harbour, through the Gaslamp district, and to Old Town.  We've inspected lots of US Navy ships, dreamed of owning one of the houses with a boat moored out the back, and enjoyed some fine dining (pizza and burgers, mostly).

The best bit for me was the tour of Old Town, the "birthplace of California".  The city was founded inland in 1769 around the first mission of the 21 stretching up the Californian coast, but as the harbour became the most important bit the the original buildings were abandoned and later turned into a tourist attraction and state park.  We took a free walking tour with Al, and I'm always amazed how great these are.  Muir Woods, Alcatraz, Yosemite, Mt Diablo...these docents (a new word to me when I arrived) are always top notch, and Al was no exception.

The only slight disappointment has been the weather.  It's the Pacific Coast, so I suppose fog should come as no surprise, but it is a little vexing to see that NorCal has been enjoying 30C while we've been hovering in the teens.  A shame, as I was hoping that these few days would dry me out from my varied British weather of drizzle, showers, mist, downpours, and storms.  No matter, I will be back in the warm embrace of the Creek (and the first night in my own bed for a month) very shortly.


I'm not sure what's easier - looking after my four nephews and nieces, or these two.




Look, it's my wife!  I vaguely recognised her after so long.


They're big Bob Hope fans here, and San Diego is home of the "national salute" to him.


Striding out.


Strict rules at our hotel.


Next day.


Chevron branding.


San Diego Old Town.  Now a themed shopping mall!


What's the spikiest thing in this picture?


An Italian sausage frittata for lunch.  Delicious!


Remember the Alamo!  Or was that somewhere else?


Al, our excellent docent.


Part of the local workforce (historically).


It was all a bit much for poor Katharine.