Saturday 14 April 2012

In the Weymouth of Madness

Another ambition came true this week when I became a mummy!  Of four children!  And a dog!  Well, only while real mummy Katharine is away, but I'm making the most of it for the two days of school hols when Scott is at work.

Katharine, in a happy piece of symmetry, has taken advantage of my absence from California to go and see Hannah.  I've been receiving daily email updates of the shopping they've been doing, and have a close eye on the bank account.

On the colder side of the Atlantic I've been instructing the children in etiquette, maths, politics and philosophy.  They don't listen to me of course, preferring to play something called a Wii, listen to rapping music, and tweet their friends on the facebook.  It's all a little confusing for someone my age.

But aside from that, Oliver has cooked lunch for two days running and helped me make a cheesecake.  Bethany, Jacob and Rebecca have been tidying and cleaning like stars, and even rehearsed and put on a show for me this afternoon.  My Mum and Dad and Mat and Alana came to visit on Thursday, and school starts again on Monday.  But it's all much harder than it sounds.


Oh, and I've been hoovering too.


This is Buckley.  He is simultaneously the hardest and easiest one to look after.


Lunch out on Weymouth beach.  The sun was out, so it must have been summer!


Devolving responsibility.


Dad was fairly worn out by the experience.


I caught them trying to escape.


That's not rain, it's just some dampness on the window.  We're going out for a walk!


   
Scott: one man and his dog, and his four children.


B, R and J's show, which descended into anarchy around the 20 second mark.


One of these two knows his times tables.