Monday 14 May 2012

Corporate baseball

Now this is the way to enjoy sport.  Hannah was hosting some Chevron-supported charities at a San Francisco Giants baseball game, and after some people dropped out, and then everyone else worthy and deserving said they were busy, I got given a spare ticket!  The only stipulation was that I had to smile, nod politely, and not say anything stupid.  It sounded like hard work, but I took the chance.

Chevron's box is on the fourth floor of the stadium, behind the batter, which I believe is a good position to watch from.  It's decked out in corporate logos, posters of petrol stations, etc.  More importantly, it has lots of beer and wine and limitless food from the moment you arrive!

It took a while to remember that there was a baseball game taking place outside, so I carried my mountainous plate of burritos onto the terrace and decided to make things more interesting by filling in a complimentary score card.  Wow, for a straightforward game they sure make this complicated.  By the time I'd worked out I should be writing 1XH(92) in the box (runner on 1B thrown out going home, right fielder to catcher) the innings was over.

Still, it was all pretty exciting.  Mostly because we had a hot dog machine in the room, but also for a close match in which the SF Giants barely won against the Colorado Rockies.  That'll keep me going until the West Indies/England Test Match starts on Thursday.  While baseball is not really for me, corporate hospitality certainly is.


Hannah has asked that we remodel our sitting room to match.


The rather fine view over AT&T Park.


Hey!  Who put all this fruit next to my beer?


Not just hot dogs, but a hot dog machine!


Hannah and fellow-Chevronite Janet chat (probably not about the ball game).


They have a nice (exclusive) museum downstairs.


A load of old balls.


This is The Crazy Crab, and original SF mascot who supposedly brought incredibly bad luck to the Giants.  You can find out all about him at Rehab the Crab.


Some more fans.


This is what it's all about!  I thought this must be a replica but no, apparently they make a new trophy every year for the winner.  Which seems to undermine the idea of a "trophy", but there we are.


Following a DP 6-4-3, an E2 and IBB, the batter was looking for an SAC to silly mid-off, but was out LBW.


Bowler.


Batsman.