Wednesday 10 October 2012

Dirty pumpkin

"Dirty pumpkin" isn't just my pet name for Hannah, it's a fine drink I discovered in Bishop, CA, on my recent road trip.  It's a mixture of all the best things in life - coffee, chai tea, and pumpkins.

I decided to follow my Marxist principles and take ownership of the means of production.  By coincidence, Hannah was baking some pumpkin bread so I had a source of pureed gourd.  I already owned the rest and went about constructing the concoction in a highly scientific manner (chuck it all in a mug, see how it tastes).

The result?  Well, I needed three times the pumpkin I originally thought, and still it didn't taste that strong, more of a velvety texture.  An unfortunate side-effect was a thick, caffeinated, orangey-brown soup at the bottom of the cup, but I was brought up on Horlicks and so these things do not surprise or scare me.  In the end it wasn't completely unlike what I'd been served on the other side of the mountains but more experiments (and pumpkins) are needed.


Coffee, hand-ground.


Pureed pumpkin (or maybe Hannah is already stocking up on baby food, I'll have to check).


Nectar of the gods.


There's nothing like a perfectly pulled shot of espresso, and this is nothing like a perfectly pulled shot of espresso.


In vitro combination.


Drink, enjoy, repeat, avoid sludge at the bottom.