Saturday 3 November 2012

Low brow

My sensible distrust of science has been discussed before.  If we evolved from monkeys, how come there are still monkeys?  Answer that, science!  I was therefore a little shocked when Hannah asked me to be a "science ambassador" at the Chevron-sponsored Bay Area Science Festival.  Then she told me I would get a free lunch, and all my misgivings evapourated, like the element bromine (atomic number 35) when heated just above standard temperature and pressure.

As usual the flagship event was held in AT&T Park and the turnout was boosted by the Giants' recent World Series win.  Tents and stages surrounded the pristine green diamond, displaying various projects and experiments, while the pitcher's mound and bases exerted an equal pull on the crowds.  The Chevron tent was the centerpiece, full of sciency stuff including a full TV studio where kids could direct, film, and star in their own shows about technology and/or oil.  For respite, staff (and partners) could relax and eat in the Virgin America Loft which, I have to say, is a little better than Chevron's stadium box.  Yes, I now compare different corporate hospitality suites.

I enjoyed taking in the view while Hannah handed out science kits, but I was soon pressed into service aiding the roving reporter cameraman.  While he wandered the field, filming kids for soundbites, I had to canvas parents for their signatures of consent.  In England this may have led to some awkward moments but over here adults were thrusting their children in front of the camera, encouraging, directing from out-of-shot.  I can only imagine what it would be like if we'd done this in LA.

After a hard hour's volunteering, during which I didn't have to answer even the most basic science question, I returned to the calm of the Loft for a burger and drink.  Such is the quest for knowledge in SF that Chevron ran out of giveaways shortly after, and I spent the rest of the time watching Lauren and Nate drop balls of different weights and claim they landed at the same time because gravity acts equally on everything, or whatever.



Where the magic happens.



Fellow Chevron trophy husband Nate displays his loyalty.


The Chevron science zone, before it was overrun by knowledge- and freebie-hungry kids.


Appear on TV and everyone suddenly believes you.


The Mars Rover, on earth.



They had a real shark in here!


More "experiments".


Virgin and child.


Interviewing young scientists.


Lauren's attitude to science reflects my own.


Taking a break after a long day where the fundamentals of my belief were rocked (by free food).