Monday 19 November 2012

Perishable after all

I leave the USA for a few days and everything goes to pot.  I've covered the Twinkies scandal before, but master bakers (I use that term loosely) Hostess have finally gone and done it: bankrupt.

I'm still trying to sort through the details, but it seems that the fluffy-cream-filled-sponge straw that broke the camel's back was a strike by workers.  I do feel that, had I been there, I could have brought my negotiation skills to bear ("noooooooooo!") but in my absence it looks like the end has come for the main reason that I moved to the States.

My Dad alerted me to the fact that boxes of this food of the gods are swapping hands on ebay for ridiculous prices, but sadly I'm too far away from my stash - dutifully put together in case of earthquake - to dump them onto the auction site.  And I'd have to do it now, as the situation is apparently not as bad as it seems.  There's also a DIY option.

So perhaps there is a reason to go back to the USA, but if Reese's Peanut Butter Cups drop over the fiscal cliff then we may need to rethink life plans.


It's all over.