Saturday 23 March 2013

Down comes the snow

I've been enjoying a fantastic display of cold and terrible weather, although the South West has been mostly spared the white stuff in favour of the wet stuff.  I'm currently wearing every item of clothing I brought with me.

Yesterday was Ian's funeral in an absolutely packed church in Woking - the number in attendance tells you plenty about him.  I did the eulogy, which I got through without fainting or wetting myself; a personal triumph, but Ian would have been deeply amused had either of those things happened.  It was something of a uni reunion, and a fitting goodbye.

This morning we awoke to snow, which allowed a (soggy) snowball fight before Meg and I indulged in some Easter egg shopping.  We even found one of the new "true" Easter eggs, although enclosing some stickers of Jesus with the most pagan symbol of spring/rebirth seems a bit theologically dubious.  They also cost £7 each, so we passed by those.

Now I'm back in the warm bosom of Somerset before a trip to the nephews and nieces tomorrow, and then my return to the boiling hot bosom of California.  We should all be back here in July, when there can't possibly be snow.  Unless there is.


Meg, who continually grows up each time I see her.  Scary.


A lovely sight for a March morning.


Flowers regret their early appearance.



Taken shortly before large clumps of slushy ice were thrown at my head.


Ellen enjoys a thoroughly irreligious Easter treat.