Tuesday 19 March 2013

The other baby

I went from LHR straight through the miserable English rain to Ely.  "Wintry conditions will persist," said the nice lady on Radio 4, but I remembered to put on my thick coat and hat before leaving Terminal 5 so hopefully retained a little Californian heat.

Thanks to a late arriving aircraft, holding patterns over London, 45 minutes for bags to get from plane to carousel, and a hire car with no petrol in it, I was two hours late getting onto the M25 and so hit rush hour around the capital.  Joy!  It meant that baby Isobel was sleeping when I arrived, but John and Laura were a reasonable substitute and we had a tasty dinner of goulash and tart tatin - a very British meal.

This morning the baby rose and shone, a little dimly because she had a runny nose.  Laura took her and me into Ely for a fine cup of tea (Russian Earl Grey, although I can't tell you what made it Russian) and then I tootled over to Woking to see Ellen and Meg, on to Colehill to see my in-laws, and now I'm in lovely Frome, the heart of the West Country.  Thank goodness for unlimited mileage on hire cars.


Hmmm, somewhat of a different shape from my baby.


Laura has mothering sorted.


Americans, note: this is how you serve tea.


Don't let Peter see my unfaithfulness!