Saturday 7 December 2013

Christmas pudding: double helping

The main slice comes tomorrow with the Chevron Family Christmas Party - Santa and a hot buffet breakfast - but today was the amuse-bouche as Pete and I took a stroll around Christmas at Canada Place.  It was difficult to find, being on the bottom level of the Vancouver cruise terminal car park, but once there we got into the spirit quickly.

I've always been surprised that Christmas fever grips a lot later in the USA than in the UK.  No carols playing in the shops in September on this side of the Atlantic!  I think it's because they have to get through Halloween and Thanksgiving first.  Why waste commercial opportunities?  The restraint seems to have rubbed off on their northerly neighbour so we had to wait until advent before Santa's little helpers got busy.

But they were there in full force, together with polar bears and reindeer.  There was a (plastic) ice rink and we even got to try our hands at curling, which California-Vancouverite-friend Ken always told me was just an excuse for drinking.  No such luck today.  Sitting on the knee of the big man himself would set you back $10 so we skipped that too.

I'm also happy to report that I've identified a sociological trait of Vancouver: when speaking of the weather it seems the norm to say "it's unusual that it's so..."  So when we first visited it was unusual that it was so snowy, then when we came for the work permit it was unusual that it was so foggy, and now I've been told by several people it's unusual that it's so cold.  And it is - absolutely freezing.  The thermometer I bought in Walnut Creek doesn't go below 0C and it's stuck.

The day finished with a surprising parade of lit-up boats.  Music started playing and once I'd established that, unlike the voices, it wasn't in my head I looked out the window.  Various yachts and little motorboats were making their way around the harbour followed by a pleasure-craft blaring out festive tunes.  All nice preparation for the big event tomorrow.  I'm referring to the hot buffet breakfast.


I saw a North American robin!  It's bigger and more aggressive than a European robin.


No wonder it's so cold!  Although Britain is closer to the North Pole I suppose...


Pete is filled with the Christmas spirit.


First go at curling!


Must try harder.


Canadian Christmas - unusually cold.


...and a happy New Year.


Big icicles!  Yes, it is chilly.


Lit-up ships, window reflections, and the Chevron barge glowing like the star from all those years ago.


It's hard taking photos at night with a telephoto.  Here I was artistically trying to write the number 2.


Well, you get the idea.