Tuesday 12 August 2008

Big city

Today I braved the Bay Area Rapid Transit and went into San Francisco to go to the nearest branch of our bank. Because we have US and UK accounts we're "Premier" customers (i.e. easy pickings) and so I got to go in by a different door and have a free coffee. Woo! It turned out that Matthew, the "relationship manager" assigned to us, is from Yorkshire and had recently enjoyed a night at Newcastle's most infamous club. We reminisced about the old country.

After that I wandered down to the Bayside and along to the honey pot known as Pier 39. SF (as us locals refer to it) was hot, sunny and heaving, although the Golden Gate Bridge remained in its perpetual fog.

Following Mathew's recommendation I stopped at Pancho Villa, a Mexican restaurant that seemed to be serving every worker from the financial district. My burrito was beautiful. In fact, the only annoying thing about San Francisco is all the tourists...


The Transamerica Pyramid - big and important.



Cubist fountain by the Embarcadero Center.



You could almost be in Miami...



The ferry building (the Isle of Wight probably isn't a destination).



Not the Golden Gate, the other one. But this one wasn't in fog.



The financial district, where Hannah and her fellow students aspire to work.



Well you have to, don't you.



Grockle trap.



Yep, the sea lions are right where I left them.



A disinterested seagull.



The Rock!



This is the Golden Gate. I did tell you.



Segway tour. I have to get on one of those!



My "baby" burrito. I didn't want to meet its mummy.