Saturday 17 January 2009

Can't see the food for the cheese

Tonight The Pasta Shop, a posh foodie place just down from us in Berkeley, was hosting a cheese tasting. It's too expensive to buy anything, but if they're giving away cheese them I'm there! The evening was really to celebrate the launch of American Cheeses, and the author Clark Wolf was there in person.

Now, normally I'd argue that unless it's yellow, hard and comes from a place in Somerset called Cheddar, then it shouldn't really be classed as a cheese. That said, there were a number of very tasty dairy comestibles on display, from lemon-infused blues to goat and sheep numbers.

By my fourth circuit of free samples I was stuffed, and some of the stall holders were beginning to recognise me ("Perhaps it's your hair," Amir commented helpfully. With friends like cheese, who need enemies?)



Cheese shop owner (left), author (right).



Nice food. They sell a dozen different types of salt. Salt!



This is the good stuff - hard goats' cheese full of fresh peppercorns.



The big cheese.



Dana and Amir display their cheese-devouring weapons of choice. They managed to steal even more than me!



No, your eyes do not deceive you. This little delicacy will set you back $18.50! I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel nibbling on the next US President.



"I think he's confusing his Gruyere with his Jarlsberger," muses Claire.