Saturday 28 November 2009

Long in the tooth

What is the true measure of maturity? Getting married? Having your own children? Putting your parents into an old people's home? (Not long now, Mum and Dad...)

Or maybe your little sister turning 30! Thirty!!

It was on this day in 1979 that, at the age of three, I was rudely awakened and quickly dressed in my favourite red weatherproof jumpsuit, hustled into my Dad's Mini, and we all raced to the hospital. We left Mum there, in the 'Geriatric Maternity' ward - that's the truth - and drove home through the night. The wind had a biting chill to it, and a wolf howled. I knew my world would change forever.

And here Emily Jane Davies is, thirty years later, still haunting me even though I've moved a continent away! Her big birthday started with pancakes cooked by Hannah and continued with a trip into SF for a Segway tour with Dad. Hannah and I rendezvoused with them as they were given 'free time' to race up and down one of the piers. The day finished, as all the best do, at The Cheesecake Factory.

So happy birthday Em! Thank you for the best 30 years of my life (I don't remember much from the first three, so they can't have been that great), from a very proud brother.



Birthday breakfast.



Dad negotiates SF public transport. There's a reason he only has to pay senior rate...



Incongruous.



Birthday chocolates in Ghirardelli.



Ticket for the tour.



Here they come!



Speeding by.



A natural.



Two generations.



Certified.



The celebrations continue with drinks and cheesecake.



And finish outside Macy's Christmas window. You're never too old for some things.