Saturday 20 February 2010

Wham BAM

It's a Saturday, when I always enjoy challenging culturally defined ideas of space and breaking down society's strict delimiters of context, time, relaxation, and art.

Luckily for me the on-campus Berkeley Art Museum is currently hosting BAMscape. "You sit on it," the publicity states...and it's hard to describe it any other way. It's a sort of series of orange wooden waves set in the middle of this huge concrete gallery. Some waves are shallow, some are big (not that big), all have helpful non-slip strips on to stop you shooting off. There are power points dotted throughout. And free wi-fi!

So here I am, interacting with the art as I blog. I'm sure you can sense the extra creativity. Hannah is a couple of waves over from me reading about business, and the only other swimmer in this fluorescent sea is off in the far corner.

I'll just stop typing now and show you the photos.



Just like I described, right?



I always enjoy following rules (especially polite orange ones).



Standing on the incandescent sea shore.



Some come to work.



Others to distract.



Anthropomorphic brutalism.