Sunday 3 June 2012

Antiques Roadshow

Alameda Point Antiques Faire is huge.  I mean, ginormous.  I've been to Alameda a few times - the abandoned naval base that stretches flat from Oakland into the Bay - and it's a odd place, with military buildings still standing, some statues of jet planes, a vodka distillery and the Cycles of Change charity whose website I helped with.  I suppose it should be no surprise that it hosts an antique and flea market that covers several football fields of tarmac.

Drew and Sarah, who are regulars, took us along, and slightly undersold it to us.  They said we shouldn't get too excited about what we'd find there, but: wow!  We didn't buy anything, obviously, but just wandering around the 800+ vendors and seeing the strange and bizarre items they're selling...that's all the entertainment you need.

There are also the ubiquitous gourmet food trucks to provide sustenance, and Hannah and I enjoyed flatbreads while Drew and Sarah went for steamed buns.  They also made a non-food purchase of a wicker love seat for their porch, Drew using all his Haas-learned negotiation skills to get 20% off.  Next month I will come prepared with a thick wad of dollars my best haggling hat.


Hannah is off, the scent of bargains in her nostrils.


Animals made out of bits of other stuff.


On inquiry, this turned out to be false advertising.


A giant, quite scary baby's head made of plaster.


Cricket balls?!  They apparently came from the West Indies.


A rather nice setting for all this madness.


This is what an iPod used to look like, kids.


Possibly the worst nude painting I have ever seen.


Mmmmm.


Hannah didn't think this was worth the $225 price tag.  If it had said Chevron...


Whoa!  I have no idea what these do or where I would put them, but I just want them because they look so cool.


Err... ($50 each).


And if you buy those, I guess you'll need this.


Sarah and Drew test out their purchase.


Hannah enjoying a carrot pate flatbread.


Lunch in the sunshine, overlooked by the Oakland cranes.


Drew decides that this is the best way to transport his find home.  He did get some shade, at least.