Wednesday 27 June 2012

Migratory species

Shauli, Anat and Arbel are leaving us!  They managed to extend their stay in Uni Village for a (very impressive) extra two years, but all good things must come to an end.  They're upping sticks and moving down to the South Bay, where job prospects, fine weather and decent hummus are more plentiful than up here.

For an emotional goodbye, I joined Anat and Arbel for a day out at Oakland Zoo, where they hold a family pass.  As I wandered between the animals, I thought: they've got the right idea!  Living together in mutually supportive social structures, no need for employment, for possessions, for clothes.  And, in a way, we're all caged by capitalism and consumerism etc. etc.


A sun bear, with no worries.


Cheeky squirrel monkey having fun.


Arbel was less impressed by the animals than by things like the stream and the climbing frames.


A monkey, hanging out, relaxed.  Anat tells me this is a yoga pose, which just proves my point.


Mummy and baby tortoise.


A frog.  Do not lick.


I improved my Hebrew animal vocabulary no end.  Here are A&A looking at a pil!


Flying fox, enjoying himself.


Arbel attends to some goat brushing in the petting farm.


Giraffes, they've got the right idea.


A human: happy.