Tuesday 5 June 2012

I'm your Venus, I'm your fire

Not content with blocking out the sun with the moon, the solar system conspired today to bring us an event that won't repeat for 105 years: a transit of Venus.  Our next-planet-in scooted across the disc of the sun for much of the Pacific time afternoon, but being small didn't have quite the darkening effect of our satellite.

I set up my Mum's patented sun viewing device again, but this time employed a tripod to lessen the problem of trying to hold binoculars, a screen, and a camera all at once.  I was greeted with a rather other-worldy view, the little planet zipping along in the face of our monstrous burning star.  It is 107 million kilometers away from it, but it looked a darn sight closer from where I was standing.

So, two massive astronomical events in a few weeks!  Now all we have to look forward to is the arrival of the 12th planet Nibiru, and the accompanying 2012 destruction foretold by the Mayans.  I probably won't need my binoculars for that one...


New, improved solar viewing assembly.


And there it is!  Look out for the big star, little Venus!  There's even a sunspot or two in there for your enjoyment.  Next time, only our clones will be alive to see this.