Sunday 10 February 2013

Beer and cupcakes

Whenever I have a pint in my hand my first thought is always: if only I had a cupcake to go with this!  It turns out I'm not alone, as our local Pyramid Brewery hosted a beer-infused cupcake event as part of SF Beer Week.  Three cupcakes were paired with three fermentations, and interactive voting allowed us to choose our favourite.  But, seriously, how can there be any losers?  We wandered down with neighbour Rachel and her brother Andrew.

First up was the Hefecake, a moist orangey creation twinned with its eponymous Hefeweizen beer.  Next came a blueberry oatmeal bake, enhanced by a glass of stout.  Everything finished with a chocolatey marshmallow-filled invention topped with espresso buttercream and accompanied by Snow Cap winter warmer ale.

It was very tough to choose between them, especially as you drank more.  I seem to remember the Snow Cap pair being my favourite, although the table was severely divided over questions of moistness and density.  I'm also not sure quite how 'infused' the confections were - we made sure to supplement with plenty of liquid...


I usually consider the slice of lemon an indulgence, but this!


Hannah is overcome...for five seconds before stuffing all three cupcakes into her mouth at once then ordering another round.


Rachel and her brother, equal partners in drinking/cupcake crime.


Drink first then eat?  Eat then drink?  Coordination gets harder as the afternoon wears on.



I think this one was my favourite.  It brought back memories of dearly departed Twinkies.


Come for the beer, stay for the cupcakes.  Or the other way around.