Monday 18 February 2013

Vicariousness

As a parent, how does one encourage interests and talents in ones children?  In America the answer is obviously: pay someone else to do it for you.  A wide variety of extracurricular money grabbing schemes exist to tenderly usher your child into the cannibalistic world of capitalist one-upmanship, including this one:


How happy and fulfilled the child in that logo looks!

Never having been one to spend money, I of course take a different approach.  If you want your children to enjoy the outdoors, go hiking with them.  If you want them to learn to swim, jump in the pool.  If you want them to love football (real football, it's actually impossible to love American football) then get out into the park and have a kickaround.

Despite being Welsh, the Davieses have never been much of a musical family (we inherited other benefits of Welshness, such as poetry, rugby, and outstanding beauty) but I'm determined that young Peter grows up with the doors of music thrown wide open.  So I will play to him, and therefore it's extremely important that I own the most gorgeous guitar known to humanity.  Unfortunately this is a Gibson ES-355, which goes for around $18,000 but, for under 2% of that price, cheap Korean replicas are readily available.

I traded in a couple of old guitars that arrived with our English stuff and am now the proud owner of an Epiphone Dot in vintage sunburst, complete with Bigsby tremolo.  Can I play it?  Details, but hopefully the love and wonder that I will inspire in my young son (and inevitably some readers of this blog) will set him on the road to rock'n'roll excess of which any parent can be proud.

Next time: why all children need an in-depth knowledge of computer games, fine wine, and cigars.


My mid-life crisis is going very well - thanks for asking!


What I look/sound like inside.


So young, and already embarrassed.