Tuesday 3 September 2013

Showers later

Baby showers: a quintessentially American thing.  It's normally a pre-birth party for the mother, and they usually involve having to guess the flavour of baby food, or eating melted chocolate bars out of nappies, or having cake in the boardroom of a multinational corporation.

Thankfully we opted for the latter when Hannah's department in Chevron put on a baby shower for her, Jenny-mother-of-Chloe, and soon-to-be-mother-Lauren.  Pete and I collected our visitor badges at corporate HQ and found ourselves ushered into a lavishly-catered conference room.  I handed the baby to the nearest person wearing an employee ID and headed for the buffet.

Speeches were made, presents were given, and oil was discussed.  I've often wondered what daily life in a US corporation is like and now I know!  Someone mentioned something about Chevron demanding the first-born from each of their employees but I shrugged and helped myself to another slice of cake.


"Before my presentation, I'd like everyone to hug my baby."


The aforementioned cake.


Does anyone ever do any work around here?


Lauren (maternity leave starts Thursday) holds Pete, while boss Mat speaks and big boss Lynda smiles.


It's just like our wedding!  Except that's Jenny, Chloe's mum.