Saturday 2 November 2013

Empty nest syndrome

Are we defined by the things we own?  Can we ever break the bars of this confining consumerist cage and set ourselves free from material possessions?  What do we require to be happy?

I pondered these questions as men came to my house and took away EVERYTHING.  The MI Group arrived ("Relocation Solutions - Bridging Continents and Cultures") and proceeded to wrap things in brown paper and parcel tape and stuff them into a van.  It took them about 12 hours and resulted in 209 boxes that will shortly be making their way up the West Coast and over the border to arrive - in theory - at the end of next week.

It was an interesting experience, seeing each item pulled from its dusty hiding place before being boxed and catalogued.  Did the packers judge me from my impressive selection of graphic novels (I saw "Comics" written on the side of one box)?  Did they wonder why anyone would need seventeen different types of tea and four teapots?  Did they find my tasteful selection of nude self-portraits hidden between the pages of my Oxford English Dictionary?

At the end there was nothing left, and we transported ourselves to a nearby hotel until our flights on Tuesday.  I looked at the scant things I'd been able to pack into a small suitcase and thought: what does any of us really need?  A place to lay our head, and a loving family by our side.  And a nice mobile phone.  And a laptop with high-speed Internet access.  And a dishwasher.  And an espresso machine.  And maid service.
 
 
Florin popped over to check on us.  He's going to miss my coffee machine more than anyone.
 
 
Tools of the trade.
 
 
It's cheaper than buying him an airline ticket.
 
 
Hannah's doing some cleaning!  I took a photo of this unique event.
 

You'll get it back when you learn to behave.