Friday 15 November 2013

Going native

To start with, it rained all day.  Heavily.  Everyone told us to brace ourselves for Vancouver weather but, to be fair, that was comparing here to California.  If you grew up in England then the constant patter of drips on one's head and the feeling of always being slightly damp is quite comforting, like bread and butter pudding.

That said, the sheer volume of downpour today was quite remarkable.  We've hired a car for the weekend and Pete and I had to travel to pick it up from North Vancouver by SeaBus.  He was puzzled but nicely cocooned in his plastic-covered buggy, I wasn't quite so lucky.  My waterproof kept everything that fell on me out, but wet soaked up through my shoes and jeans until I was drippy inside.

To cheer ourselves up, after Hannah finished work we had dinner at White Spot.  Eating at this local family restaurant chain is a Vancouver tradition - Hannah has been nagged by her colleagues all week to go.  People around here grew up on it, and it's also a tradition to say "it's not as good as it used to be."

I decided to go fully Canadian by ordering poutine.  It's a dish that originated in Quebec, and is basically chips and gravy with cheese on.  I've had something similar late on a Friday night in Durham on a few occasions so I don't know why Quebec gets bragging rights (we've also had the pleasure of trying the Chilean version).  Tonight mine included mushrooms and bacon, although I'm told it's not an authentically great poutine at White Spot, as though the relative quality of chips in gravy is something that needs a connoisseur's judgement.

We watched hockey on the telly (note I have already dropped the "ice") and then came home to hang coats and trousers up in front of the gas fire.  Cultural integration is coming along nicely, and should the rain keep up I'll try out another Canadian attribute: every comment on the weather should be a question.  Wet enough for ya?



Why is there plastic over my buggy?  Some kind of UV protection?


Stormy waters as we cross Vancouver Harbour on the SeaBus.


After a tough (four day) week at work Hannah needs something to take the edge off.


Pete is unimpressed, probably because there's some greenery on top.


Oh yeah, for dessert we shared a salted caramel whisky milkshake.  It was a healthy dinner.


Push the round thing with your stick into the net thing!  They chant this at hockey games all over the country.