Sunday 24 November 2013

Meanwhile, in Smithers

Lest we forget, we're up here because Hannah has a job to do.  This week that job included jumping onto a plane and flying to Smithers where, in nearby Moricetown, she helped to run a jobs fair.  The Moricetown mill recently shut leaving the small community with 75% unemployment and Chevron went up to see what job opportunities they could offer on their new gas pipeline.  Like I keep telling you - they're the good guys.

This is where Smithers is:


Google wouldn't let me zoom out any further.  It's beautiful but remote, and the snow that rarely touches Vancouver has already set in for the season.  Hannah is apparently going to get a two-day course on snow driving, which I'm dead jealous about but will mean that I can absolve myself of responsibility when we drive north.

Anyway, while Pete and I struggled on alone she had a wonderful time, including a massive roast beef dinner put on by the Wet'suwet'en Nation in whose territory Moricetown and Smithers are founded.  She's now talking about taking a holiday up there!  Let's get that snow driving under our belt first, shall we...


Smithers, picturesque land of the truck.


Where you get breakfast.  Tim Hortons, a Canadian cafe chain, is without doubt the worst coffee I have ever tasted.  Apart from that vegan hazelnut milk cappuccino I once drank at Cafe Gratitude.


On the road to Moricetown.


Setting up the Chevron booth.


Winter is looking good!


Driving back to Smithers airport (they have their own promotional video).


Smithers Christmas lights.  Let's hope for some Christmas snow in Vancouver, but at a time and for a duration convenient to me.