Saturday 18 April 2009

Hints of hazelnut

Redwoods?  Check.  Alcatraz?  Check.  Golden Gate Bridge?  Check.  So today it was wine country!  We drove up to Russian River Valley (like Napa, but the tasting it free).  I took Mum, Sheila, and Dana around the "usual" route: Champagne at Korbel, a few wineries along the road that runs by the river, then into Healdsburg.  The more they drank, the more they bought.  Funny.

Leaving Mum and Sheila to wander around the town, I was determined not to miss an establishment that Amir dragged us from before we could even try it the last trip.  It's a place called Cafe Gratitude, a vegan eaterie.  Being vegan they don't make their milk out of cows but out of hazelnuts.  Their cups ask "What are you grateful for?" and their tables are covered in little cards urging you to turn to the person next to you and say things like "I adore me, and I am whole".  Some aging hippies even gave us a song.

Dana's thank you for keeping me company was a cappuccino, or "I Am Blessed" according to the menu.  She's a bit of a coffee connoisseur, claiming that Israel has the best (of course!), so I was keen to show her how good something a little non-traditional could be.

When it arrived, delivered by a suitably unwashed server, it was the worst thing I have ever had to drink.  Sort of like vegetable oil that someone had scraped burned toast into.  I can still feel it in my mouth.  What am I grateful for?  That I'm not a vegan, and I never have to go back (hey, that's two things!  It's a good day).



Me, Mum, Champagne.



Bottoms up!



A cheeky Pinot at Moshin.



One of our picnic lunch partners.



Dana's opinion of the coffee.  I was forced to agree...