Wednesday 30 March 2011

You've made your bed

"But what do you do?" I am often asked when I tell people about my wife's high-powered, world-saving job.  What an impertinent question!  As I always used to tell long-suffering, 35-hours-of-lectures-a-week university flatmate engineer Ian - as I sat watching daytime telly in my dressing gown - us theologians are always thinking.  I never understood why he got so angry.

So today I'm going to tell you exactly what I did.  While my wife was out making the aforementioned world a better place, I built us a bed!  I consider this to be a highly masculine thing to do, employing all the subtlety and nuance always associated with DIY.  It also means that we will no longer be sleeping on a Salvation Army purchased mattress, although I'm sure it was a shop second rather than secondhand.

Our new bed is king-sized, and as you would expect an American king is bigger than an English king (and they're the ones who kicked the monarchy out!)  Hannah and I can now sleep without touching each other at all, which to my mind makes for a more healthy and balanced, not to say hygienic, marriage.  The only annoyance is how far I have to stretch to push her when she's snoring.  A small price to pay for my fine piece of craftsman construction.

After that, I baked an apple cake.  Renaissance man?  Leonardo (da Vinci and/or DiCaprio) has got nothing on me.



Watch and learn.


Boo-yah!  Now I feel like a cup of tea, a piece of cake, and a lie down.  Convenient.