Friday 20 March 2009

You know you're in Texas

I allowed myself a small feeling of personal pride as I finally walked into the Sheraton Hotel and Spa in Fort Worth having (sort of) traversed the country under my own steam without so much as a change of underwear.  Self-sufficient, that's me!  The hotel is lovely, and cheap thanks to Vince's military discount.  It almost makes being in the army worthwhile.

After dropping my one bag in our room I met up with Christine's best friend from school, Anita, and her husband Eric.  The three of us drove through the cooling Fort Worth evening out to Vince's brother's house where we met up with the rest of the Mucker clan, Christine's dad, Father John who will be baptising Claire, and finally Hannah fresh off her Louisville flight.  Everyone fell into an easy, comfortable family gathering as beer and spaghetti flowed.

Hannah's interview went really well, so she's happy with her performance and just has to wait for two other candidates to be seen next week.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they just phone the others and cancel now.  Fingers crossed!



A "private function" of cattle breeders was taking place opposite our hotel in Fort Worth's Chinese Water Gardens.



This is our room!  I knew everything was bigger in Texas, but seriously...



Food, drink, and chat on the Mucker patio.