Monday 2 March 2009

Tree cheers!

It's 20 days (give or take) since my giant sequoia went into the fridge to fool it into thinking winter had started. Well, winter's now over! Today it came blinking into the sunshine - if there had been any sunshine - and will shortly be 275 feet tall.

Dana and Amir, who so kindly gave my tree fridge-space for the first few delicate days of its life, came over to witness the event. After a delicious dinner prepared by Hannah I was even able to serve a vaguely tree-themed dessert. Then it was time to remove the plant.

Not much has happened in 20 days, apart from the pebbles on top taking on a strange orange tinge. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I take a leaf out of a gardening book? Maybe branch out into other activities? I hope, like me, you'll be rooting for the little fellow.



Tree huggers unite!



Hey, it's a dessert that looks like a tree (if you close your eyes).



The miracle of birth. Welcome to the world, tree.