Saturday 15 August 2009

The Carpenter said nothing

I've always shied away from oysters - drinking half a pint of phlegm has never appealed. Today, however, I let myself be talked into it by Elliot and Elise. We met them at Point Reyes and drove up the inlet coast to The Marshall Store where oysters delicately plucked from local waters were served in the beautiful sunshine.

Thankfully these oysters were cooked, grilled on a barbecue in their half-shell while smothered in tomato, garlic, and butter. Still wary I opted for a tasty haddock chowder, but did sample one of Hannah's. It was...not bad. It mostly tasted of the sauce, so I guess I could describe the oyster itself as "delicate". It was small, obviously not priced for its ability to fill you up, but everything should be enjoyed in moderation.

After that we took a short walk down to the bay itself then headed into Point Reyes Station for some cheese and ice cream. Now that was good!



The popular Marshall Store.


The best table in (or outside) the house.



The view at lunchtime.



And here are the little guys!



Proof of their aphrodisiac qualities...or is it the beer?



Hannah is unashamed to slurp.



I just want to check out everything's ok before I commit.



Going on a bear hunt to work off lunch.



Now this is more like it.



Mmm mmm. Vanilla, roasted peach, and chocolate!