Thursday 1 March 2012

Don Corleone

I enjoyed a special treat today with a matinee visit to the cinema.  Normally I avoid the pictures during daylight hours due to one thing: old people.  Once or twice I've been to a movie ruined by noisy kids, but I've lost count of the atrocities committed by seniors.  

From the lady sat next to me in Lawrence of Arabia who had to comment on everything on screen ("Oooh, it's a sandstorm."  "Oooh, he's dropped his compass."  "Oooh, he's on a camel.") to the middle aged couple behind us in the second Matrix film (we knew we were in trouble before the lights went out: "I didn't see the first one," said one, "so you'll have to explain what's going on.") and the continuous walk-outs from Inland Empire (to be fair, that was 3 hours 20 minutes long - even I needed the loo by the end) it has been a litany of bad experiences.

So what could entice me out into this minefield today?  Only The Godfather, arguably the best movie ever made (and I include Top Gun, Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing in that comparison).  As part Paramount's 100 Years celebration, and for its 40th birthday, it has been restored, burnished, and sent out into cinemas for one day only.  I enjoyed unrivaled digital picture and sound clarity on the big screen.

The film is still gorgeous and incredible, from Gordon Willis's rich dark cinematography, that's been copied by everyone since, to a cast that includes Brando, Pacino, Duvall, Keaton, and Caan (and allegedly several real-life mafia employees).  The thing is a work of art from any angle.  As a Godfather myself it was also good to have a refresher on what my role should entail (mostly making people offers they can't refuse...)

And cinematic distractions from the elderly?  Well, a theatre that could hold around 350 had about eight of us inside, showing a shocking lack of taste from Walnut Creek citizens.  If anyone was talking I was too far away to hear them, which is good as I might have been inspired to leave a horse's head in their bed.

They don't make them like they used to.


How my Godchildren see me.  But younger and thinner.


Yes, there we go!