Saturday 10 March 2012

The La-Z-Boy grows up

Amanda and my relationship has always been somewhat horizontal in nature.  She is the one who, back in the dawn of our California time, convinced me to buy my dearly departed La-Z-Boy.  So I should not have been surprised when she and Jack spent a good chunk of their weekend with us in the Walnut Creek Relax the Back store, looking for a luxury chair to take with them when they move to Japan.

These chairs are admittedly something special, with motors to move you into position - pulling the recliner handle used to be most of my daily exercise! - a Zero-G mode which is how astronauts sleep (they claim), and some that envelop and massage you to within an inch of your life.  I was humbled by all the leather-covered memory foam on display, compared to the beige velour of my 80s classic.  I may have just become a La-Z-Man.


Position 1.


Position 2.


Position 3.


Amanda hasn't changed position since August 2008.


Goodbye reclining handle, hello Starship Enterprise!


It was a tough decision, and not one to rush.  The store manager eventually woke us all up and asked us to leave.


Hannah, however, remained unimpressed.  If it's not a set of copper-core saucepans, these days she's not interested.