Monday 26 December 2011

RV Envy

Being sick in an RV is no fun at all.  To be fair, it's probably worse for people sharing the small space with me. I spent a very unpleasant night hugging the portaloo-style toilet having, it seems, picked up a vomiting bug that Anat and Arbel had in Berkeley before we left.  I'm fairly sure I've left some internal organs in the RV's tanks, ready for the next dumping station.  Hopefully I can make it back on our flight tonight, otherwise Jim and Gen - who were meant to be visiting us today but have been warned off - will get an unexpected visit from a recuperative patient.

The others went to the hot springs for which Sam's is famous, and after keeping down a hot chamomile tea and a dry bread roll I thought I should take a wander in the sunshine and fresh air.

Wow, this is a serious RV park.  Jealousy is a horrible thing, but suddenly our plush vehicle seems somewhat cramped.  There are people with multiple slide-outs along the vehicle's full length, some with extra pillars that drop down to keep it all stable.  A few have wheel covers to...keep their wheels clean when they're not using them, I suppose.  Last night I spotted a man with a campfire and a flatscreen tv as he enjoyed Christmas evening outside.

There are also the permanent homes, although I'm not too sure how that works.  Rent seems to be a lot cheaper than in the Bay Area (surprise!) and you get an environment of palm trees, duck ponds, fountains, and the hot springs.  All in all a pretty good deal.  I've already overheard a couple of Alaskans talking about their annual trips here and, as Hannah observed, why go back to Alaska?  Why go anywhere?  I'm off to the manager's office right now.


This is the view from our window.  This guy's truck to pull his trailer is as big as our entire RV!


Good to see others being as festive as us.


The only way to live.


A prime corner spot.


The permanent residents.


Where do I sign?


Hannah enjoys the naturally-heated pool.


 Arbel enjoys the hot tub!


The duck pond, just like every duck pond in England!


My appointment is at 11am.