Wednesday 21 December 2011

Tea caddy

We're gearing up for (another) road trip adventure, but whenever I head out into the wilds of this great country I am always forcefully struck by one question: where can I find a decent cup of tea?  The answer - nowhere.  Nowhere on this entire continent can anyone competently place boiling water onto dried leaves in a pot, allow them to steep for a few minutes, then pour them into a bone china mug (milk having been placed there first).

Nowhere!  Trust me, I've looked.  Starbucks, surprisingly, is half-decent because they actually use boiling water.  But if I count the number of times I've been presented with a glass of clear lukewarm liquid and a selection of bags (some of which have been herbal!) I always return to Jack's immortal conclusion: "You know what?  You shouldn't have bothered."

Tea at home is a different matter of course, with my recent new tea pot giving me access to planes of loose leaf ecstasy I hardly knew existed.  Could I risk taking this essential, delicate item with me on a road trip?  Could I risk not taking it?

Luckily I found a spare Crumple bag (or ten) in my wardrobe, and discovered just the thing.  A perfect cup of tea will be available at all I-5 rest stops, and in Bakersfield, and in the Mojave desert, and in Joshua Tree park, and in Palm Springs, even if I have to forego the fine china teacup.  I can now breathe easy, and actually start looking forward to the trip.


A snug, safe fit.


Yes, the bag is capable of carrying all tea essentials.  Apart from a kettle, I suppose.


Practical, comfortable, and classy.  And that's just the wearer!  Hahahaaaa...