Sunday 13 November 2011

Arf arf arf!

How much better can life get than being photographed cuddling a dog who's wearing a dinner jacket?  But more on that later.

It's Saturday, so obviously there's another Chevron-sponsored event to go to.  This one was somewhat more interesting than the usual sit down meal; it was at ARF - the Animal Rescue Foundation in Walnut Creek.  The place is run by Tony La Russa, and a quick search on Wikipedia tells me that he's a famous baseball player who, it looks like, managed the St. Louis Cardinals to the World Series this year.  I'm not really into obscure minority sports, but apparently this makes him a celebrity.

For this fundraiser, ARF had organised lots of local wineries and eateries to provide free nibbles to the guests.  Rather dangerously, Grey Goose Vodka was a sponsor and were happy to provide unlimited cocktails to all comers.  Along with that we enjoyed pumpkin bisque, wild mushroom pizza, fresh-baked cookies, a chocolate fountain, sticky toffee-pudding...to be honest, after the third "Dirty Muttini" I lost track.

What made the evening even more special, not to mention surreal, was the large amount of dogs and cats everywhere.  Many were available for adoption, and were obviously confused as to why several hundred drunk people were wandering about when it was bed time.  There were also many there with their owners, mingling with the crowd, offering photo opportunities, and one...was wearing a dinner jacket!  I have nothing more to add.


Hannah, accompanied by our friend Katie.


As Chevron representatives, we were double gold sponsors.  Oh yes, no single gold for us!


Guitars from The Eagles and Santana lined the walls.  I have no idea why.


A suitably pet-themed cocktail menu.


Do you love cats and dogs?  Do you want a free cocktail?  Is the Pope Catholic?


Lining them up.


Here's Hannah enjoying what I believe is a Cocktail Spaniel.


Oh yeah, it was all for a good cause.


Pretty popular!


Sticky toffee pudding.  Come on!


Hannah finds heaven.


This is Bagheera, who I would have adopted on the spot if it wasn't for our apartment's no pet rule.


Doggies!


Here's Tony La Russa.  Famous, if you're into fake-cricket-like American sports.


It's past my bedtime, why are you people here?


This is Piccolo.  I would have adopted him along with Bagheera.


And here he is!  Yes, I am holding a dog dressed in a dinner jacket.  I'll just say that again: I am holding a dog dressed in a dinner jacket.  He was lovely, and my life is now complete.


Several glasses of wine, a few cocktails, lots of desserts...we had a lovely evening.  All I have to do now is keep seven cats and five dogs hidden from our apartment managers.