Wednesday 3 September 2008

Lost!

On Tuesdays, Hannah has classes until 9pm which means I have to cook my own tea. To lessen the distress of this situation, I decided to take a walk into the hills behind Berkeley campus. The day had been very clear (and hot) and I had grand ideas to capture the Golden Gate Bridge as the sulfurous orb of the sun plunged into the cerulean Pacific etc. etc.

After struggling up the steep hill to get there before sunset, dragging my big camera with lots of different lenses behind me, I discovered that I'd forgotten to put the memory card in. Undettered, and with only a little cursing, I decided to follow the pleasant track around Strawberry Canyon to seek out the best views for next time when, hopefully, technology doesn't let me down (I'm talking to you, memory card...)

As usual I had completely overestimated my abilities, and as twilight fell I began to wonder how long the trail was. Slowly the stars came out overhead and I decided to start jogging, not because I was scared but, you know, cos I fancied a bit more exercise. Who knows what wild animals lay in wait? A bat flew past at one point, but it couldn't have been hungry as it didn't stop.

After what must have been hours I finally saw some points of light, which gradually resolved into the Department for Mathematical Research (which sounds like a bundle of laughs in itself). Pope-like I kneeled and kissed the tarmac.

My travails were not yet over, however, as I seemed to be on top of a mountain with Berkeley campus nowhere to be seen. Friends in the UK had pointed out that many films and TV series featuring serial killers are filmed in San Francisco and I pondered this as I made my way down the windy backroad, hiding in the bushes whenever a car drove by.

Of course, it all ended happily when I got back to the business school to see Hannah emerge smiling from her class, oblivious to the near-death experiences of her husband. America is a generous and welcoming land, but stray from the straight and narrow path and things get scary rather quickly.

I took these pictures as proof, using my phone. They say that it's not the quality of the camera but the person behind it that matters, so you lose on both counts today.



A tree, with Berkeley stretching out behind.



The north sweep of the Bay, and Marin County headland. There's even a tiny Golden Gate Bridge with plane flying over in there.



This is how dark it was! It was even darker when you were there.