Friday 19 September 2008

Science never sleeps

It was Mum and Dad's last day before they cross the country to Boston. After a trip to the post office where Dad wanted to pick up a few of the 3.75 billion US flag stamps that have been printed incorrectly, we met Hannah for lunch (she's working hard for her statistics exam) and then caught the bus up to the Hall of Science. There's an engineering exhibition on there that Dad (engineer, Birmingham university, class of 1954) wanted to see.

It was great! We built bridges, tested paper aeroplanes in a wind tunnel and got to race paddle boats. Thankfully there were very few children around to ruin our fun.

Then it was back down to Berkeley and a trip on the BART out to the airport, ready for them to catch the "red eye". We were there four hours early, which meant that Dad could relax.

I BARTed back, and through a series of bizarre circumstances had to drive Amanda's car back from the station on my own. And you'll never guess what, but not only do people here drive on the wrong side of the road but their cars are the wrong way around too! Every time I tried to change gear I wound down the window. These Americans are crazy.



Who is this man, and why has he been following me around?



It's a clear day! Berkeley all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge.



I looked deeply into my DNA, and saw my mother.



The earth. And the way out.



Spot the engineer.



And check out my bridge, made from a single bit of paper! See, a degree in theology can come in useful.



Big wheels keep on turning.



Davies Inc. - family builders since 1976.



The rock-steady flight of my (patented) paper aeroplane in the mini wind tunnel.



No comment.



Ahhh, the sunlight shimmering on the waters.