Monday 22 December 2008

Stressful (not) in Seattle

A few days ago I may have written about my love for trains. Sadly, those were the words of a naive young man.

Amtrak, like a fickle mistress, seduced us and, as soon as trouble struck, left. Or didn't leave, in fact. The North American train system has turned out to be a fair weather friend, and I'm typing this in a Starbucks across the street from where the one bus rumoured to be leaving Vancouver tonight should be departing.

I received a strange automated message from Amtrak this afternoon and so we made our way down to the station. There we were greeted by the news that our train had been canceled due to "infrastructure issues brought on by the bad weather". Greyhound decided to copy them.

I found customer services (I use those words loosely) and asked what our alternatives were. There were none, the sour-faced woman told me unhelpfully (she had a French accent, so what could I expect?)

- UPDATE -

Well, we're now sat on the bus making our slippery way through Downtown Vancouver. Incredibly they have free wi-fi on board! Suddenly this trip is looking up (until my battery runs out...)

More when we cross the American border, or when we get stuck in snow on the way there.