Friday 6 February 2009

A day long hoped for

After some intense lobbying by Christine, the Haas School of Business honoured The Hotsy Totsy Club by naming it Bar of the Week. This tradition involves students gathering at the chosen establishment on a Thursday night, and the Haas social secretary had even sweet-talked the owner into offering $6 pitchers of beer.

I've always thought of the Hotsy as my own private lounge, so it was strange to find so many people in there. Not that there were that many - these students seem to prefer the classy bars of San Francisco to the dark, authentic, slightly terrifying corners of Albany. But the jukebox was free, and I got to beat Vince at shuffleboard (again) so who can complain?

Tomorrow night the bar is being officially "reopened" in a ribbon cutting ceremony by the Mayor of Albany (we have a mayor?) but sadly prior commitments will keep me away. I'm sure it will get national news coverage, so I'll link to that...



Vince is back home.



Yep, not much has changed.



The girls get the beers (and new cocktails!) in.



Vince in action on the shuffleboard table.



It's all about skill and strategy.



Oh look, I've beaten Vince again and regained The Yorktown Cup. What a surprise!