Friday 20 February 2009

Into the wild

I've been abandoned by Hannah as she and her fellow Haasies gear up for their case competition this evening. Things start at 5.30pm, go on until 9.30pm, and then they have to work all night ready to present their business ideas at 8.30am the next morning. Why? A good question. The case is about adding value and social responsibility to an airport-to-ski-resort shuttle bus. If you have any bright ideas, drop her an e-mail!

Left without my wife I reverted to my feral nature and slunk off into the mountains in search of rocks and trees. It was my lucky day, there were lots of both! The Boulder Creek Path runs from central Boulder for several miles into the surrounding hills and makes for a nice walk into spectacular countryside. There was a new photo opportunity around every corner, and I followed the path until it finished.

Not wishing to repeat my experience of getting lost in the dark in Strawberry Canyon (and if somewhere named after a soft fruit can be that scary, how much more somewhere named after a huge rock?!) I scurried down again.

Now I'm back in the warm motel room, feeling sleepy from all the fresh mountain air. Unfortunately the sky has clouded over so my plan to attend the free planetarium star-gazing session might have to give way to a trip to (another) brewery. After a couple of pints I'm confident I'll be able to tell the students all the answers they'll need to win tomorrow!



That's not my university!



The swanky hotel where the competition is taking place and (surprisingly) we're not staying.



Ah, this is more like it. "You are now leaving civilisation."



Very nice.



Me and the mountains.



The snows are melting.



OK, maybe it's not all that wild around here. But this could be for bears!



Solo free-style rock climbing - I laugh in the face of danger.



A strange furry plant I met.



Tempting...